08 July 2009

Carmina Burana

I finally found my favourite version of Carmina Burana -- done by Chor Der Deutschen Oper Berlin.   When my computer crashed, I lost it.  I found other versions, but trust me, this one is right.  I've personally studied this piece for years -- years!  I know every part of this music, every cymbal, crescendo, horn -- even each time the triangle is used.  If you know me well, you've seen me rock out in my car or room to it; and by rock out, I mean heavy, man.

I cannot help but beam at this whole movement -- it describes life. Period.  Everyone knows the first piece (when you download it,  you'll say 'Ooh! I know this!'), which talks about the fortune of life, it's ups and downs.  The rest of movement describes it: anger, inebriation, youth, death, rebirth, God, depression, doubt... and a lot of love and sex.  My favourite piece 'Si Puer Cum Puellula' says:

If a boy with a girl
tarries in a little room,
happy is their coupling
Love rises up
and between them
prudery is driven away
An ineffable game begins
in their limbs, arms and lips

How sexy is that?!?  It's sung by six men, almost gossiping.  I like the idea of it being shared and worshiped for its romance.  I am so happy to have a hold of this piece of Western masterpiece before I head to Asia :)

No comments: