12 August 2010

Marilyn Breaking Down Double Standards

Lorelei Lee -- Marilyn Monroe
Gus Esmond -- Tommy Noonan
Mr. Esmond Sr. -- Taylor Holmes

Mr. Esmond Sr.: Young lady, you don't fool me one bit.

Lorelei Lee: I'm not trying to, but I bet I could.

Mr. Esmond Sr.: No, you might convince this jackass you love him but you'll never convince me.

Lorelei Lee: That's too bad, because I do love him.

Mr. Esmond Sr.: Certainly, for his money!

Lorelei Lee: No, honestly.

Mr. Esmond Sr.: Have you got the nerve to stand there and expect me to believe that you don't want to marry my son for his money?

Lorelei Lee: It's true.

Mr. Esmond Sr.: Then what do you want to marry him for?

Lorelei Lee: I want to marry him for your money!

Gus Esmond: You see--Oh, Lorelei!

Lorelei Lee: You see, that's why we have to have his consent, silly.

Mr. Esmond Sr.: Well, at least we're getting down to brass tax. You admitt that all your after is money?

Lorelei Lee: No, I don't. Aren't you funny? Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You might not marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help? And if you had a daughter, wouldn't you rather she didn't marry a poor man?

Mr. Esmond Sr.: But I--

Lorelei Lee: You'd want her to have the most wonderful things in the world and to be very happy. Oh why is it wrong for me to want those things?

Mr. Esmond Sr.: Well I can see that.. Say, they told me you were stupid. You don't sound stupid to me.

Lorelei Lee: I can be smart when it's important, but most men don't like it.

No comments: